Court Reporter I/II
Division of Workers’ Compensation
Court Reporter I Twice-A-Month Salary Range: $1,848.00
Court Reporter II Twice-A-Month Salary Range: $2,088.00
A non-merit Court Reporter I/ II position is now being filled in Jefferson City with the Missouri Department of Labor/Division of Workers’ Compensation, Adjudication Section.
Major Job Components:
• Plans and coordinates reporting and transcribing of formal administrative hearings.
• Reviews cases and decides on proper methods of handling and processing, including reporting, transcribing and reproducing.
• Takes verbatim notes of testimony in administrative proceedings using a stenotype machine.
• Marks for identification purposes any exhibits introduced into evidence and incorporates exhibits into prepared transcripts.
• Utilizes a computer-aided transcription system in preparation of the verbatim record.
• Suggests changes and improvements to procedures; orders and maintains equipment and supplies; performs related office tasks.
• Maintains statistics and records concerning hearings and transcript production.
• Performs other related office work as assigned by the Administrative Law Judges.
• Works independently within the scope of assigned duties.
• Maintains positive working relationships and conduct duties with courtesy and respect.
• Accepts and implements feedback with a positive attitude and to constructively support open communication, dedication, and compassion.
• Seeks to assist team members and accepts additional assignments willingly.
• Maintains regular and reliable attendance.
• Other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
• Thorough knowledge of courtroom procedures.
• Thorough knowledge of Missouri Supreme Court Rules on the preparation of transcripts.
• Considerable knowledge of office management and record-keeping procedures.
• Considerable knowledge of legal terminology, medical terminology, grammatical construction, punctuation, and spelling.
• Ability to work under courtroom pressure for long periods of time without rest.
• Ability to fully utilize a computer-aided transcription system.
• Ability to travel as necessary to cover hearings.
• Experience in transcribing medical testimony is preferred.
Education & Experience:
The applicant must be certified as a Certified Court Reporter by the Missouri Board of Certified Court Reporter Examiners or certified by the National Court Reporters Association as a Registered Professional Reporter.
Two years’ preferred experience taking verbatim notes at hearings using a stenotype machine and transcribing the hearing notes using computer-aided transcription equipment, and successful completion of an accredited two-year course in court reporting.
To Apply: Submit a completed application (https://labor.mo.gov/sites/labor/files/pubs_forms/2396-AI.pdf), cover letter, resume and transcripts to: email@example.com , fax to 573-751-3668 or mail to: Human Resources, PO Box 510, Jefferson City, MO 65102 by 8-13-18.